Apache Cassandra is an open source distributed database management system designed to handle large amounts of data across many commodity servers, providing high availability with no single point of failure.
Cassandra offers robust support for clusters spanning multiple data-centres, with asynchronous master-less replication allowing low latency operations for all clients.
- Elastic scalability Allows you to easily add capacity online to accommodate more customers and more data whenever you need.
- Always on architectureContains no single point of failure (as with traditional master/slave RDBMS’s and other NoSQL solutions) resulting in continuous availability for business-critical applications that can’t afford to go down, ever.
- Fast linear-scale performanceEnables sub-second response times with linear scalability (double your throughput with two nodes, quadruple it with four, and so on) to deliver response time speeds your customers have come to expect.
- Flexible data storageEasily accommodates the full range of data formats – structured, semi-structured and unstructured – that run through today’s modern applications. Also dynamically accommodates changes to your data structures as your data needs evolve.
- Easy data distributionGives you maximum flexibility to distribute data where you need by replicating data across multiple datacenters, the cloud and even mixed cloud/on-premise environments. Read and write to any node with all changes being automatically synchronized across a cluster.
- Operational simplicitywith all nodes in a cluster being the same, there is no complex configuration to manage so administration duties are greatly simplified.
- Transaction supportDelivers the “AID” in ACID compliance through its use of a commit log to capture all writes and built-in redundancies that ensure data durability in the event of hardware failures, as well as transaction isolation, atomicity, with consistency being tunable.